The Bedroom Edition: A Better Sleep
When I don’t get a good night’s sleep it can feel as though I already defeated before the day even begins. Never underestimate the power of sleep. It is essential to our mental and physical well-being! The lack of good quality sleep can be detrimental to our health. Anyone who has ever experienced any type of sleep disturbance or sleep disorder knows how incredibly frustrating it can be.
For anyone looking to improve their sleep, try these methods or tricks.
1. Drink a cup of caffeine-free herbal tea about an hour or so before bedtime.
2. Take a magnesium supplement. It can help your muscles relax and help you get that sleepy feeling.
3. Use essential oils to rub a few drops on wrists before getting in bed or add some to a diffuser which is right beside the bed.
4. Avoid caffeine and refined sugars at any time of the day. It never occurred to me that the one cup of coffee I would drink at 8am could still have an effect on me at 9pm. Avoid refined sugars as they can cause a reaction in the body that triggers the “fight or flight” part of the nervous system, causing wakefulness.
5. A consistent sleep schedule will reinforce a consistent sleep rhythm and helps to remind the brain when to release sleep or wake hormones and when not to.
6. Sleep in absolute darkness. Light suppresses the production of melatonin — the major hormone secreted by the pineal gland that controls sleep and wake cycles.